Halloween is upon us (okay, pretty much)! Are you excited? I’m excited. It’s the time of year to let your inner goth shine without anyone pointing at you and laughing. Although, to be perfectly honest, now that I’m an adult I totally don’t care. It’s like I’m a slightly more confident, put together (also wiser and more thoughtful) version of the girl I was as a teenager. And I’m proud. That being said, I very rarely wear a black lip. My day-to-day look, especially lately, actually involves very little makeup at all. But it’s soon to be October, friends. Magic is afoot. Be bold. Wear black lips with pride, if you don’t already. Don’t wait until last minute, either! Treat yourself to something luxurious. You’ve got plenty of time.
PS. Why is there no bat emoji? Or witch hat?
The following lip products are cruelty-free and/or vegan. I’ve listed them from most indulgent to least, and all (some more than others) are full of natural and nourishing ingredients. I’m serious about treating yourself.
Axiology/Kat Von D/Nero Cosmetics
- Axiology / Existential: buy here $28 (cf/v)
- Kat Von D / Studded Kiss lipstick in Slayer: buy here $21 (cf/many shades vegan, including this one)
- Zosimos Botanicals / Onyx: buy here $20 (cf/v)
- Nero / Nevermore: buy here $18 (cf/v)
- Portland Black Lipstick Co. / Original Black: buy here $14 (cf/contains beeswax)
- Insomnia Cosmetics / 3am: etsy shop currently down, as creator is recovering from illness $12 (cf/v)
- Black Widow Balm / Black Magic: buy here $10 (cf/contains beeswax)
Have you noticed that black lip shades always have the coolest names?
two swipes of product, natural (mid-afternoon) light
Axiology lipsticks make for a totally decadent experience. This is a beautiful, lovingly made product. This is the highest quality lipstick I have ever owned, and it’s one I feel really good about purchasing (plus I got it on sale). Check out the ingredients list here. Existential is highly pigmented and ultra-moisturizing. I prefer to use a lip brush, but the lip color will apply nicely straight from the tube. This goes on smooth, with a light shine. This is a great example of a luxury brand with a wide range of color options. They make non-traditional colors really approachable.
Insomnia Cosmetics lipsticks are all made by hand in small batches. 3am is a semi-matte, highly pigmented black. There is instant gratification with this one. Applies best with a lip brush. I’m hoping this shop re-opens soon, because their products are great, with a lot of character. Moonchild (a bright berry purple) is one of my favorite lipsticks, right now! 3am was originally part of a Halloween collection, but was re-released into regular rotation due to popular demand.
Black Magic wears like a lip balm. It applies sheer and can be built up to your desired level of blackness. What it lacks in instant pigmented coverage, it more than makes up for in texture and scent. This Color Balm is infused with a blend of peppermint, pine, and nutmeg essential oils. I recommend using a lip brush for precise application and color build-up, but if you just want an on-the-go swipe of glossy sheer gray, go straight for the tube. Color Balm is available in a wide range of tints, if black isn’t your thing. This is a good option if you don’t feel 100% comfortable wearing a full-on black lip!
If I’ve missed any of your favorites, please let me know in the comments!
Nota bene: Friday Favorites posts contain some affiliate links. I will receive a small commission from any purchases made through clicking those links below. Thank you!
It’s July, which inevitably means retailers start showcasing their fall products. I spent the last decade or so in retail-land, so I am used to this and not particularly bothered. It’s also beneficial because as a girl who likes dark clothing and long sleeves, late summer is a great time to shop. The lace, crochet, and sheer pretty things I love for layering go on sale, and more black goes back on the shelves! Win.
- Carrie Bilbo’s jewelry designs are beautiful. My favorite is this sterling moth necklace.
- I love this moon return address stamp from Native Bear. Now that I have a more permanent home, I feel like this is something I could get for myself.
- Tj just bought a bunch of really cool tees from a local company, and I was disappointed when I discovered they don’t carry women’s sizes. I’ve been moping a little and making my own tee wishlist. That list includes this one (and some others) from Friendly Oak. This is one of my all-time favorite shops on etsy!
- You may or may not know, but I am definitely a big nerd. In all the typical ways. I’m proud. So. Can we talk about comic books for a quick second? The new Chilling Adventures of Sabrina series from Archie Horror is actually really great so far. It’s a darker, horror twist on the original Sabrina character, and even though we’re only three issues in, I am definitely digging it. Lots of fun historical and folkloric references, so far.
- I love this simple black cord bracelet by Maslo at Moorea Seal. Perfect every day piece.
- These shades are killer.
- The UK designer Brit-Stitch is now available in the states exclusively at ModCloth. Brit-Stitch bags come in an array of colors, sizes, and shapes. I like this black one in particular. You can check out all the available designs and learn a little more about the company here.
Thanks for stopping by. My name is Naomi, and this space is made of girldust. This blog is a picture of my comfortably scattered life on the coast of Maine. I'm trying to be a slightly better version of myself every day. I like old houses, reading, the ocean, ghost stories, and museums. You can learn a little bit more about me here.